Are you moving soon?
Here is a checklist for you to help the transition go as smoothly as possible. Many of the items listed are forgotten about when moving day finally arrives. We are here to help make your move more successful.
- Address Changes: Postal Service, Bills, DMV, Doctor / Medical Records, Academic Institutions / School Records
- Dispose of any items no longer needed: Remember charities, friends and family may also appreciate your items as well. You don’t want to have to pay for those items to be moved.
- Measure the space in your new home: Make sure all of your furniture will fit. If some doesn’t, consider renting a storage unit until you can decide what to do with your items.
- Prepare an “essentials” carton: Have it contain important items such as remote controls, shelf supports, bed legs, keys, telephone charger, telephone handset, furniture assembly instructions.
- Food planning: Plan on using up your perishable and non perishable foods a couple weeks out to minimize waste and bringing it all with you.
- Plan early: Start thinking about moving early, don’t wait until the last minute to prepare everything. Download apps to help organize and plan.
- Moving kits: If you are doing the packing yourself, buy sturdy boxes that can handle what you put in them. There is nothing worse than weak, flimsy boxes that fall apart damaging your valuables. Moving kits are available at most local moving / storage facilities. They usually contain the essentials for your packing needs.
- Research: Research the moving companies in your area to price out who has the best value and reviews.